By *Tyshea and *Ai-Bee
A collection of short stories about love between girls.
Happy 2nd birthday, Picture This!
And what a crazy couple years it's been. We apologize for the laggy lateness on this year's piece, real life and all that good stuff. But we pumped this out over the weekend and I hope you guys enjoy it! And the rambling that is to follow.
We really wanted to talk about and incorporate two tumblr asks we got recently, which were:"Which of the girls has changed the most since you announced the project and how? Who's changed the least? Why do you think this is?"
and "What kind of flowers do you think represent the girls?"
As a disclaimer, the language of flowers is about as muddled and ambiguous as the English language, so the reasons I picked them may not always be because of the meaning, or I kind of pick and choose what meanings I prefer.
So without further ado; Side A:
Sara: has matured and became more down to earth- Her plot and relationships with her antags has changed drastically, so her goofy, escapist outlook on life became more motivated through experience. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it's made her aware of the mistakes she makes, which is very important. She used to be sort of aimlessly pushed by various people and feelings, but now it's more like she pushes herself into things and regrets it later. She's also become considerably more solitary in the story because of these changes.
This is in direct contrast to Sam, who became more youthful and naive over time, pushing their night/day dynamic.
- Visually, Sara became more pointedly gangling, slouching, and bony. Her face became especially reliant on her eyebrows and wide mouth for expressions. I started with a pretty generic base for her but over time her gesture became more drastic and incorporated into all her movements/poses. I wanted her to feel very androgynous and skater in the way she walks and carries herself.
- We've associated Daisies with SamSara from the beginning, because it represented their relationship well- but of the two, it was more likened with Sara. Daisies are simple, innocent, loyal, patient, and young at heart. They're sweet and plain, which is kind of how Sara is, especially when it comes to love. She's a sensitive but simple person, and honestly doesn't require much attention to be content.
Jess: What started out as an ice prince actually warmed up into more of a cocky, blunt firecracker. Before, she had left her temper in Texas entirely and became calculating and unfeeling, but over time I felt that her annoyance and short temper with certain situations started to come back the more we discussed their story, and what exactly caused drama to follow her. Her shorter fuse has made it a lot easier for her to get involved in the JayJess arc.
- Her body type is gradually solidifying, but like Jay, she's unapologetic ally androgynous-masculine, though sleeker and more streamlined than Jay due to her history of swimming in place of basketball. She's gradually gotten a slight but much needed haircut to make her style feel more deliberate and fashionable, and pushed her Hispanic roots more in her skin tone. I hope to work on her features much more as time goes on and as I work out her family.
- The Calla Lily is kind of sleek and graphic in the way it's shaped, very crisp and clean cut like Jess's sharp personality. They're beautiful, elegant, and a little vain.
Stella: Stella's still got plenty of growing to do, but I feel like her ocean of emotions is getting more vast... she's a very feeling character, and is passionate with a big- and easily broken- heart. Her development has brought to light a lot of feminist issues she'll experience and those things inadvertently made her stronger.
- Visually, Stella is still in the process of evolving. I did struggle with settling on various features for her initially, but over time she's become very confident in her design yet her face feels very gentle and slightly shy. I want to solidify her broad shoulders and jawline, to push her iconic runway model presence. I've also gone and given her a bit more chest. (Just like Gale omg)
- Stargazer lily... Stella, stargazer? How could I not? But otherwise, I knew I wanted a very decorated flower, and I love the mixture of pink and white. They're very delicate yet vibrant... pure, innocent, and romantic.
Monica: Most of the self-consciousness she had at conception has been redirected into Stella, I've realized- Mona has become more level-headed, responsible, and a nurturing leader. I've gone digging into her Texan roots to find a more aggressive and confident, positive go-getter in Monica. There are finer details I need to work out for her, but I'm happy with this much needed groundwork.
- Visually, she's gone through a dozen fluctuations in size... I just wasn't sure what kind of plus size I wanted her to be. Hourglass? Pear? more significantly plus size? I feel like with solidifying her curves more, she became more stable- emotionally as well.
- Lily of the Valley- Sweetness, humility, happiness. They're cute and charming, cheery and honestly quite beautiful as a bouquet... Mona's the kind of girl to make you smile just in passing, even as a stranger. Cute happy flowers for a cute happy lady!To read about Sam, Jay, Gale, and Sumi's answers, check out Ty's post!Reblog this post on tumblr here!
Sketched our respective characters (SAI for me, PS for Ty.)
I did the linework in SAI, Ty put colors, gradients, and text on it in Photoshop CS5
A walk down memory lane:
Thank you for all the favorites, comments, and watches!